Thursday, November 21, 2019

Cast Iron Cooking

This rustic apple pie, made in an 9" iron skillet, was inspired by Mary Janes Farm cast iron
cooking. I have always loved cooking in my vintage cast iron skillets and baking corn bread in my
variety of cast iron muffin and corn stick pans. My grandmothers and mother used cast iron kettles,
dutch ovens and many different sizes of skillets. Nothing beats a hot pan of corn bread with fresh
butter melted in between the sliced open wedge, or a corn stick laden with butter. A pot of white or pinto beans and turnips greens are a wonderful meal paired with the fresh baked corn bread.

The skillets are also perfect for the sweet things like this apple pie or even pineapple upside down cake. This Thanksgiving I plan on using my iron skillet for our traditional Pumpkin Pie, I will post a picture here on the blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment